Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reason to Smile.


I'm studying for my Physiology of Behavior final. I wanted to share the results of a study conducted by Zajonc, Murphy, & Inglehart (1989) who proposed that smiling precedes the experience of emotion. They found muscular contractions that produce smiling cause blood to drain from the face into the cavernous sinus, which lowers the temperature of the brain, producing positive emotion. On the flip side, frowning causes the blood supply to pool in the face, increasing the temperature of the brain, which produces negative emotion. All the more reason to turn our frowns upside down, and smile our cares away. :)

3 comments:

sara said...

Dawn, I'm so happy to find your blog. You are the greatest! And always gave me a reason to smile.

Melinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melinda said...

i totally agree with the comment above! :) i too am excited to have found your blog (on facebook) :) I want to add you to my friends blog list if that is okay? :)