Thursday, May 13, 2010

Muscle Your Life.


This morning my brother was updating me on his mission to become the next Mr. America. (That's not how he phrased it though--) You see, he has more muscle mass in his little pinky finger than the whole Altier family combined. (OK, that's another exaggeration, as ALL the boys in my immediate family are super buff!)

Justin was informing me that the other day, he did 8, then 6, then 3 push-ups (in a row). (I know what you're thinking, "big deal. I can do that too.") But here's the crazy part: he had a grown woman sitting on his back!!! Yowsers! Just 3 weeks ago he could barely do 2 (with a grown woman on his back). (Where does he find these women???)

"My, my!" I exclaimed. What a quick advance in such a short period of time!" "Not really." "Why not?" "Because, he explained, our bodies are capable of so much more than we usually subject them to. When we attempt something for the first time, it comes as such a shock to what our body, (and brain), that our brain tells us we can't do it. When we persist, that is when our brain begins to get used to the new activity, and can prepare for the next time, even recruit previously unused muscles that were laying dormant."

This line of reasoning resonated with me. It parallels so nicely with life! We are capable of so much more than our usual groove. Is there something you've been wanting to attempt, but feel it's just not possible? Give it a shot! You will find inner resources and those from without to help you form new habits. Realize your possibilities. ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD. When possibility jives with necessity, God steps in and helps.

Much Love!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

love it! And YES all things are possible with God! Hallelujah!!

Unknown said...

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved." -Ralph Waldo Emerson